Wednesday 3 October 2012


“I don’t think my family in Turkey would accept my sexuality’

ZIAD 27  Turkish
I fled to this country after being persecuted in my own town in Goreme, Turkey. It has been hard learning English and it has been hard not having my friends, brothers, sisters and even my parents here with me. I was alone for a while but I have found a new family here within the gay community here in Australia.
I don’t think my family in Turkey would accept my sexuality, I don’t think they would understand. They did not help me when I was being threatened, they just looked away.
Sometimes I still find it hard being here. People are a bit scared of me because I ma a big man with a full beard and I am quiet. Also my English is not that good so I don’t talk very much and some times I find it hard to express how I feel. But when people get to know me they see that I am kind and all I want in life is peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment