Wednesday 3 October 2012



‘I had to go through different experiences to earn my place in Sydney’

Jay , was Singaporean now Australian.

I first arrived Sydney in 1993; it was the time when the news announced that Sydney would host the 2000 Olympics. At that time, I was touring with some finest performers to promote Singapore. Sydney intrigued me instantly. In 1996, I came for Mardi Gras and fell in love with Sydney even more. After much consideration, I called Sydney my home in 1998.  It’s such an irony – I was supposed to encourage foreign investors to Singapore, but Australia stole my heart instead.

Like most immigrants to Australia, I want a better life for myself. Growing up, I felt sterile, restricted and suffocated by the system in my country. I couldn’t be me. All I want is to feel liberated and be comfortable in my own skin. I found just that here. We have the freedom to express ourselves. We have support groups within the gay communities, which give me that feeling of acceptance.

But nothing comes easy in life. I had to go through different experiences to earn my place in the society.  I followed what was right in my heart. I chose freedom over financial affordability. I made some sacrifices through my journey, as I had to be apart from my love ones. I took a huge pay cut and accepted work in junior positions. I worked very hard, and never take anything for granted. I became a manager and fashion buyer within few years. I live comfortably, pay my tax and enjoy the quality of life here. I had my citizenship in 2005.

Unfortunately, I have many challenges being a minority. I faced the odds, not only experiencing discrimination at work but most disappointingly, within the gay community. I was unfairly dismissed from work based on my race, gender and sexuality. I need closure and seek justice. Fortunately, I found a great team of multi-national solicitors and lawyer who fought for my rights. Most importantly, I met people who really care. I am indeed blessed to have a partner who loves me unconditionally.

Through my experiences, I was searching for some answers. Recently, I found Pride In Colour team; formed by a small group of volunteers and supported by the City of Sydney. They asked me to share my stories - well, here I am sharing and being heard.

Planting the seeds of understanding is what this group is all about. We hope to raise awareness on tolerance through nurturing and educating the community. This could help eliminate ignorance, hatred and discrimination. Like so many of us in the Pride work group, we care to make the difference. We hope to give people the chance to be heard, feel proud of who they are and encourage them to share their stories with PRIDE IN COLOUR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment