Wednesday 3 October 2012


“there is no set rule to the family unit, Charlis best friend has two mums’

KELLY – Wurundjeri Australian
Business  Woman, single mum, 42

I had Charli Louts Lili (my daughter) when I was 37 and she is the love of my life. I will never forget pumping milk during my lunch break out the back of the florist and then running it down to Charli at the child care center, that’s a fond memory. I had to deliver milk twice a day.

I didn’t really realize what it meant to have a child on my own, but I was surrounded by love and I now cherish every moment, at times it’s a struggle juggling a small child and my business and now that she is five (in October 2011), it’s a little bit harder.

I love diversity, it’s a necessity, a wonderful thing. There is no set rule to the family unit. Charli’s best friend has two mums. At her childcare center there are other single mum’s, single dads, families with two dad’s, its very diverse. Which is great for Charli because she doesn’t stand out, she is accepted for who she is not what society expects her family unit to be.

She has a deep relationship with her father, he is Maori and they are close. There is no set rule to our family unit and I don’t think there should be. I could cry right now when I think about the first time I held her.

We just found out recently that we are decedents of the Wurundjeri tribe,, when I visited them I discovered all the elder women were gardeners which is great because I’m a florist. We all have flowers in our hearts.





No comments:

Post a Comment